What is a Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT)?
The use of the word “tile” in LVT is somewhat confusing since some LVTs are offered in both planks and tiles. Luxury Vinyl Tile is actually a man-made flooring product that falls into the resilient flooring category. There are basically TWO types of luxury vinyl tiles on the market; one is a stick down version and the other a loose lay click system. Both have their advantages and these are dependent on where the product is to be installed. Your Carpet Right representative will be able to suggest the best product for the project. LVTs are extremely durable, water-resistant, as well as scratch and stain-resistant. It is also much warmer and quieter underfoot than traditional ceramic tile, stone or laminate floors. Because of its inherent resiliency, luxury vinyl tiles are more forgiving when objects are dropped on the surface than ceramic tile.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Luxury Vinyl Tiles
- It is suitable for both residential and commercial applications
- It mainly has a wood-look finish and is much cheaper than real wood
- It is not susceptible to water so can be utilised in kitchens and bathrooms
- It’s not noisy underfoot
- It’s very easy to maintain
- It’s highly durable
- The floor on which it must be laid must be perfectly level
- In most cases a self levelling screed will be required
- Direct sunlight can affect the product if not correctly installed
- Do not install in holiday homes that do not have sufficient ventilation when closed up
- Installation may take a couple of days for acclimatisation purposes